- Law Enforcement Agencies
- NGO for various emergency options and feeding schemes
- Mining operations
- School Feeding Schemes
- UN and UNDP and their affiliates
- Drought and Famine Relief
- Rescue Workers
- Countries and Cities – Food shortages
- Disaster and Emergency Relief – Tsunamis, Tornadoes, Earthquakes and Refugees
- Oil Rigs
WHAT IS RETORT FOOD
A retort pouch is a type of food packing made from a laminate of flexible plastic and metal foils. It allows the sterile packaging of a wide variety of food and drink handled by aseptic processing, and is used as an alternative to traditional industrial canning methods.
Packaged foods range from water to fully cooked, thermo-stabilized (heat-treated) high-caloric (1,300 on average) meals such as Meals, Ready-to-Eat (MRE’s) which can be eaten cold, warmed by submersing in hot water.
Meals are tested and have an extended shelf life of a minimum of 2 (two) years , and up to 5 (five) years, if stored in a cool dry environment below 24°.
- Meals are placed in a retort chamber where temperature is increased to dehydrate, preserve and sterilize the meals.
- All Bacteria associated with the manufacturing process is removed.
- Meals are tested and have an extended shelf life of a minimum of two years.
- Healthier carbohydrates for enhanced and sustained energy. Improved recipes and formulations have a greater macro nutrient profile.
BENEFITS OF MRE RETORT PACKING
Retort pouch has several advantages:
- It weighs less than a metal can
- It is flexible, meaning that it can handle a lot of abuse when taken away from home or on military maneuvers
- Because it is flat, it takes up little space, making it easier to carry in a backpack or pocket
- Offer high temperature resistance, toughness and Products has a longer shelf-life.
- Retort MRE meals are prepared and packaged in foil bags for longer shelf life and better taste. No more tins
MAKE MRE’s LAST LONGER
Temperature is the most important factor in lengthening the shelf life of your MRE’s. The standard MRE shelf life is around 3 years, if the product is stored in a dry room with temperature no more than 13 degrees some MRE can even have a shelf life of 5 years. Because our MRE’s are packed with other food products, we only guarantee and suggest a shelf life of one year.
Do not freeze your MRE’s. If the MRE’s get punctured or damaged its over as the product is then no longer preserved. Keep away sharp objects from your MRE’s.
To protect your MRE’s and get the maximum shelf life out of them, it is recommended that they be stored in a cool dry environment that is inaccessible to rodents. Dry basements or cellars offer ideal conditions for MRE storage.
WHY CAN I STORE MY MRE’s FOR SUCH A LONG TIME?
MRE’s owe their impressive shelf stability to the retort packaging process. The retort pouch is made of strong, layered combination of polyester, aluminium foil and polypropylene, allowing it to deal the commercially sterilized food ration for long periods of time.
After the food is sterilized, oxygen is sucked out of the package / pouch , like a vacuum and quickly sealed. The process effectively locks out oxygen and bacteria.
TOP 3 TIPS FOR MRE STORAGE
- Keep your MREs in a cool dry area
- Keep the MREs off the ground on shelving away from rodents .
- Don’t freeze your MREs.